Wiscasset Public Library

Wiscasset Public Library Logo

Basic Information

Established: 1799
Schedule: Winter: Tues, Thur, Fri 10-5; Wed 10-7; Sat 9-2. No Saturday hours Memorial Day through Labor Day.
Address: 21 High Street, Wiscasset, ME 04578
Phone Number: 207-882-7161
Fax Number: 207-882-6698
Director: Pamela Dunning

Action Shots

* There are currently no photos associated with this listing.

Additional Information

Computer Capabilities:

Public access, Wi-Fi, Online catalogue

Summer Programs: Summer Reading Program
Membership Details:

Free membership to citizens of Wiscasset, ALna and Westport Island. Partial dues to citizens of Edgecomb. $30.00 membership for all other borrowers.

Library History:

The building was completed in 1805, built for the Lincoln and Kennebec Bank under a Massachusetts Charter of 1802. In the Northwest corner of the basement was a "Jug Vault", a brick structure said to have resembled a large bean pot, the top of which was entered through a trap door in the floor of the room above. In it was kept the required reserves of $100,000 in specie.
For some years the second floor was leased to the County for offices of the Clerk of Courts, the Registry of Probate, and the Registry of Deeds. Records were kept there until 1862 when Mr. Isaac T. Hobson converted the building to a private residence. He added a Mansard roof in 1870. The present roof, designed by W. Stanley Parker, was put on in 1936. The wooden ell, once the Children's Room, was added during Hobson family residency. The new wing, which houses the Children's Room and the non-fiction collection, was added in 1981.
A succession of several families lived here until 1929 when the building was purchased by a committee of generous donors for use by the library.
The Wiscasset Public Library was incorporated in 1920 by a group of ten Incorporators. It was first established in the Methodist Church on Fort Hill in the winter of 1921, with Mrs. Henry W. Webb as Librarian. It remained there until 1929 when it was removed to its present location. It is the continuationof the Wiscasset Social Library that was started in 1799.