Standard licenses

Passenger Car: Covers most passenger vehicles, including cars, sport utility vehicles, pickup trucks, vans, and all except for the largest recreational vehicles but does not include motorcycles. Different jurisdictions have different designations for this license type: a majority of states call it Class D, a few combine the Class C (Non Commercial) and Class D licence together as Class C, but Florida and Louisiana calls it Class E, in Mississippi it is known as Class R, in Missouri Class F, in Rhode Island Class 10 and in Hawaii it is Class 4.

Graduated License: Are functionally the same as a passenger license, but are typically issued to new drivers under the age of 18. Almost all states, with the exceptions of Kansas and South Dakota, have some form of a graduated licensing provision; however, the actual restrictions and the length of time a new driver must adhere to them vary widely by state. Restrictions frequently include:
          o A curfew, after which night driving is not permitted without an adult present (typically midnight or 1am, but as early as 6pm in South Carolina, and 9pm in New York State). Some states such as New York provide exceptions for special situations, such as driving home from work or school functions, or for medical appointments, while others such as Massachusetts, do not.
          o Restrictions on the number of passengers under a specific age present in the vehicle. For example, in California, a new driver may not transport people under 20 unless there is an adult 25 or over present in the vehicle, for the first 12 months or until age 18.

Chauffeur: Functionally the same as a passenger car license, but also allows the holder to drive a taxi, limo, or other livery vehicle for hire. Livery licensing in the United States is somewhat complicated. In the United States, chauffeur licenses are not considered commercial or professional driver's licenses, and (assuming the driver already holds a regular passenger license) a road test is usually not required to convert it to a chauffeur license; however, some states do require a short written exam on taxi specific driving laws and/ or a background check, and require the driver to be at least 18 years of age (although many taxi companies will not hire drivers under 25 for insurance reasons). This type of license is typically, though not universally, called Class E. Some states simply add an endorsement to a regular license, while others require no special permission at the state level to drive a taxi or limo. Regardless of whether and how the state handles chauffeur licensing, a permit or license must always be obtained from the city, town, or county the driver will be operating in.

Motorcycle: Covers motorcycles only, frequently combined with a regular passenger license. In some states this does not include some types of mopeds, scooters, or motorized bicycles, but with a wide variety of different state-by-state definitions for these vehicles. A common but not universal criterion is an engine displacement of 50 cc (3.1 cu in) or less, but also wheel size, type of transmission, and more are sometimes used in the legal codes to distinguish mopeds and scooters from motorcycles. These vehicles sometimes do not require a motorcycle license, or in some states any license at all, as well as in some states avoiding insurance and registration requirements. Unlike Europe, no US state differentiates between low and full powered motorcycles for the purposes of licensing. Some states require an additional motorcycle license to operate a sidecar rig.

Enhanced: Issued to US Citizens in Washington, Vermont, Michigan and New York, also proves nationality in addition to driving privileges. An EDL is a WHTI compliant document, acceptable for re-entering the United States via land and sea crossings from Canada or Mexico or the Caribbean. A passport, birth certificate, or another document proving citizenship is required to apply for this type of license. Motorcycle and commercial driver's licenses (see below) usually can also be issued as enhanced.

Some states also have additional classifications. Hawaii, for example has a separate license category for drivers who only operate mopeds, while some more northerly states have separate categories for Snowmobiles and ATVs. South Carolina and Georgia have non-commercial versions of every commercial class license for agricultural purposes.