The Catholic High School of Baltimore

The Catholic High School of Baltimore Logo

Basic Information

Address: 2800 Edison Highway, Baltimore, MD 21213
County: Baltimore City
Phone Number: 410-732-6200
Fax Number: 410-732-7639
President: Dr. Barbara D. Nazelrod
Principal: Mrs. Sharon Johnston
School Type: Private, Catholic, Independent, All Girls, Secondary

Action Shots

The Catholic High School of Baltimore
The Catholic High School of Baltimore
The Catholic High School of Baltimore
The Catholic High School of Baltimore

* Click each thumbnail for a larger version.

Additional Information

Accreditation: Middle States Association
Founded: 1939
Organization Affiliation: Sponsored by the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, NAIS member, AIMS member
Ages/Grades: 9, 10, 11, 12
School Setting:

Urban

School Size: 330
Student/Teacher Ratio: 12:1
Tuition:

14, 800

Financial Aid:

Yes

Curriculum:

College Preparatory, Honors, Archangel, STEM, Biomedical, Visual & Performing Arts, Law & Leadership in the Franciscan Tradition

Support Services:

Archangel Program for students with learning differences, Guidance Department, Athletic Trainer, School Nurse

Camp Programs: Yes
After School Programs: Yes
Computer Capabilities:

1:1 Technology Program

School Clubs:

Student Ambassadors, Athletic Association, Book Club, Literary Magazine, Duns Scotus Forensics Team, Flute Choir, Guitar Club, French Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, English Honor Society, National Honor Society, Green School Club, Ukulele Club, Library Club, Mathletes, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Art Honor Society, Science Honor Society, Nurses Club, Piano Ensemble, Spanish Club, Student Council, TCHS-TV, VEX Robotics Club, and more!

Parking Spaces/Availability:

On-site parking lot

Mission Statement:

Empowered by Gospel values and rooted in the spirit and tradition of Saints Francis and Clare of Assisi, The Catholic High School of Baltimore, a sponsored institution of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, is dedicated to the education of young women in an environment that fosters Christian attitudes of dignity and respect for the human person and all of creation.

In our mission, we recognize that through education the empowerment of women can effect the transformation of our society. Therefore, we challenge our school community to academic excellence, to responsible leadership, and to Christian community service.

Philosophy/Belief Statement:

The Catholic High School of Baltimore provides a positive educational environment for young women throughout Maryland. The school community challenges its constituents to academic excellence, responsible leadership, and Christian community service. This prepares students for leadership roles in the community, in the Church, and in the world of the twenty-first century.

School History:

With the permission of the Most Reverend Michael J. Curley, Archbishop of Baltimore from 1921 to 1947, and through the efforts of Mother Mary Generosa McCafferty, Provincial Superior of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia, a new Catholic high school was erected during the period of 1938 to 1939. The property was known as the Raming Estate, located in northeast Baltimore on the west side of Edison Highway. The name of the institution as presented to the Archbishop read: "The Curley High School of Baltimore." Not wishing the school named after himself, Archbishop Curley substituted the word "Catholic" for "Curley," thus the title was incorporated.

Classes began September 6, 1939, with a student body of 254 freshmen. The faculty consisted of the Sisters of St. Francis of Glen Riddle, Pennsylvania. The Class of 1943 had the responsibility and privilege of laying the foundation upon which Catholic High's traditions would rest.

The Catholic High School of Baltimore continues today under the sponsorship of the Sisters of St. Francis of Philadelphia.