Indiana County

Indiana County Logo

Basic Information

Address: 825 Philadelphia Street, Indiana, PA 15701
Phone Number: 724-465-3805
Fax Number: 724-465-3953
Person of Contact: Robin Maryai Chief Clerk
County Seat: Indiana

Action Shots

Indiana County
Indiana County
Indiana County
Indiana County

* Click each thumbnail for a larger version.

Additional Information

Year Organized: 1806
Square Miles: 834 Square Miles
Size of Board: Three County Commissioners
Townships: Armstrong Banks Black Lick Brush Valley Buffington Burrell Canoe Center Cherryhill Conemaugh East Mahoning East Wheatfield Grant Green Montgomery North Mahoning Pine Rayne South Mahoning Washington West Mahoning West Wheatfield White Young
Cites: None
Schools: Armstrong School District (part) Apollo-Ridge School District (part) Blairsville-Saltsburg School District (part) Harmony Area School District (part) Homer-Center School District Indiana Area School District Marion Center Area School District Penns Manor Area School District Punxsutawney Area School District (part) Purchase Line School District (part) United School District
School Districts: Armstrong School District (part) Apollo-Ridge School District (part) Blairsville-Saltsburg School District (part) Harmony Area School District (part) Homer-Center School District Indiana Area School District Marion Center Area School District Penns Manor Area School District Punxsutawney Area School District (part) Purchase Line School District (part) United School District
Libraries: Indiana Free Library Homer Center Public Library Burrell Township Library
Museums: Jimmy Stewart Museum
Parks: Yellow Creek State Park Pine Ridge Park Blue Spruce Park Hemlock Lake Old Smicksburg Park Waterworks Park Memorial Park Buttermilk Falls Park Blacklick Valley Nature Area Ghosttown Trail Hoodlebug Trail
Population: 87,491
Demographics:

Indiana County, PA has a population of 87,491 people with a median age of 39 and a median household income of $45,118. Between 2015 and 2016 the population of Indiana County, PA declined from 87,895 to 87,491, a 0.46% decrease and its median household income declined from $45,195 to $45,118, a 0.17% decrease.

The population of Indiana County, PA is 94% White, 2.28% Black, and 1.26% Hispanic. 6.71% of the people in Indiana County, PA speak a non-English language, and 99% are U.S. citizens.

The largest universities in Indiana County, PA are Indiana University of Pennsylvania-Main Campus, with 3,449 graduates, Wyo Tech-Blairsville, with 916graduates, and Indiana County Technology Center, with 63 graduates.

The median property value in Indiana County, PA is $107,600, and the homeownership rate is 70.9%. Most people in Indiana County, PA commute by Drove Alone, and the average commute time is 21.8minutes. The average car ownership in Indiana County, PA is 2 cars per household.

Indiana County, PA is the 34th most populated countyin Pennsylvania and borders Armstrong County, PA;Cambria County, PA; Clearfield County, PA; Jefferson County, PA; and Westmoreland County, PA.

Medium Income: 45,118
County History:

The recorded history of Indiana County begins around 1727, when James LeTort, a French Huguenot trader, set up a trading post for the Indians near what is now the town of Shelocta in the western part of the county.

Other settlers traveled through the county in the 1700's, often using the Kittanning Path, an Indian trail which roughly parallels U.S. Route 422 through Indiana County. This route was renamed the Armstrong Trail and is now preserved by The Armstrong Trail Society, and a portion in Indiana County has been marked with signs and used for hiking and nature study.

The southern portion of the County was purchased from the Iroquois Six Nations in 1768 in the first Treaty of Fort Stanwix by Thomas and Richard Penn, sons of William Penn. The line of this purchase, extending across the center of Indiana County, is known as the Purchase Line and is commemorated today by a monument in the town of Cherry Tree, marking the corner of the Purchase. In 1784, the Penns signed the second Treaty of Fort Stanwix with the Indians and purchased the northern section of the county. The two parts of Indiana County, north and south of the Purchase Line, were joined when the County was created by the Pennsylvania Legislature in 1803.

The town of Indiana became the county seat in 1805, when George Clymer of Philadelphia (a signer of both the Declaration of Independence and the United States Constitution) donated 250 acres of land in the center of the County. This clinched the county seat title for the town of Indiana, which by 1810 had a population of 125.

In 1806, the official business of the County was transferred from Greensburg and three years later the first Court House was built. According to the census of 1810, the new County had a population of 1,214.